Friday, May 9, 2008

An Unexpected Gift


Whenever Ethan and I meet someone, I usually have to tell him, "Can you say hi, Ethan?" It happens so frequently, the words spill out of my mouth before I realize it. "Say hi, Ethan." He'll usually mumble hi, and look away.
Poor social skills such as these are a hallmark trait of autism. Temple Grandin, a woman with autism who has a doctorate degree and often speaks at autism conferences, says she has a difficult time socializing because she can't interpret people's facial expressions or follow the usual give and take of a conversation. It has taken much practice and self-awareness for her to develop skills that are inherent for most people.
Ethan's social deficiencies are a deep source of worry for me, which is why I constantly tell him to say hello. I had no idea Ehtan actually appreciated my nagging until today at his Mother's Day school recital. One by one the kids held up a laminated picture with a typed sentence on it saying why their moms are special. When it was Ethan's turn, he held the sign up and said, "My mom is special because when I'm shy she she stays behind me and says hi." He drew a picture of me standing behind him, facing another little boy he wants to talk to.
I could barely hold back the tears when he then walked up to me and hugged me. It was one of those moments when I felt profoundly grateful for being a mom.

20 comments:

Kathleen said...

god in my emotional lack of sleep state i would have been in buckets of tears. what great moment for you.

Anonymous said...

yep a bucket of tears here too, that is adorable. you are a good mommy!

Melissa said...

Yes yes, tears

lemonologie said...

Thank you for sharing. I'm sure you are a wonderful mom. You have a beautiful son, and I know you are so proud!

Suburban Correspondent said...

That's fantastic!

HealthyMahma said...

Wow, Cathy! Thank you for sharing. You are an encouragement. Keep writing!

And, thanks for visiting my blog!

Claremont First Ward said...

Oh, brought tears to my eyes!

Gattina said...

I can imagine that you were very touched by this ! That was really sweet especially in his case. Wonderful !

Diane said...

you always got his back. and he knows it. that's awesome!

good work momma!

Tina said...

that is so nice. i felt emotional reading it too lol

Keri Ann said...

I love your blog, it is so sweet. I have a son named Ethan too. I came across you from Mary ann Ashly, I have a friend who has a boy with autism. She has a great blog. I just thought I would share, it is always good to network!


her blog is
http://vaccinequestions.blogspot.com/

maryt/theteach said...

Cathy, that's a wonderful story! My grans-nephew has PDD and he's three. He's in school and getting all the help he can get thank goodness! All will be well for Ethan and my grand-nephew, I'm sure. :)

Mom Knows Everything said...

Oh what a sweet post and such a sweet little boy you have!

Brenda said...

That is a very touching story. I have worked a little with autistic children and its so hard to know what they are thinking or if they appreciate your help. You must be so thankful for that little sign of appreciation and confirmation.

A New Beginning said...

Motherhood is the most beautiful part of a womans life and what makes it even better is the love that one recieves from their kids, its beyond words though complimented on and off with a few drops of tears:)
You are a special mom!Cheers to the lovely spirit of motherhood!

http://aspaceofonesown.blogspot.com

Tickled pink said...

Such a wonderful moment for you Cathy.Ethan gave you the best gift on that v. special day.Really sweet and touching.

Destiny's child... said...

That was really touching and sweet. Must have been a great moment for you...way to go super mom! :)

angel in disguise.... said...

awe...so sweet...i jus simply loved it!
cheers to u!:)

Mustaf said...

Hi:-)

First time on your blog & what a treat to read this post. Sometimes results for a prolonged dedicated hard work comes from the most unexpected corner, it almost brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing, will read your other posts, too :-)

Liz said...

What a precious gift! That would be a bucket of tears for me too. Congrats, you're a great mommy!